Saturday, August 25, 2007

Brewing

In response to a comment (Hi, Secret Pal!), brewing is not difficult. If you can make soup, you can brew. Our best resource was our excellent homebrew store, Hennessey Homebrew Emporium. They were someone we could talk to if we had a question. The book we learned from is How to Brew. The first edition is online. We read the first chapter and then brewed. There are a few rules to follow. The most important thing is sanitation - everything must be clean. The start up cost for equipment is around $50.00. It costs about $30-$40 for a batch of beer - about 48 bottles. We get our bottles from the local beverage store - they sell us bottles for .05 cents each (the cost of the deposit).

I think homebrewing is a great hobby for a couple. We plan what we are going to brew and go buy the ingredients together. We visit breweries when we travel (as well as yarn stores, of course). We enjoy making the labels. We also make wine from kits.

This is a subject I am passionate about - I could go on further but don't want to overwhelm you. If you have more questions, let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the information! It's something I've always wanted to try (the winemaking sounds *very* interesting, too- I live with an ex-wine steward). I'll check out that website!